Eating Disorder Hope has put together a list of New York eating disorder therapists into a single directory.
Specialists who treat bulimia, anorexia, binge eating, orthorexia, or other forms of disordered eating in their practice include:
- Eating disorder therapists (also known as eating disorder counselors, or eating disorder psychologists): Provide regular therapy sessions and may practice more specific forms of therapy such as Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT), family-based therapy, or other proven treatments for eating disorders. An eating disorder therapist may also treat co-occurring disorders in their practice.
- Registered dietitians: Create and maintain a balanced meal plan, and take part in Medical Nutrition Therapy
- Eating disorder psychiatrists: Prescribe medications and manage drug therapy
- Physicians who specialize in treating eating disorders: Oversee core medical complications that arise from eating disorders (such as heart palpitations, muscle atrophy, chronic migraines, etc.)
Men and women with eating disorders typically create a dedicated treatment team made of an eating disorder counselor, a dietitian, a psychiatrist, and a physician. This level of comprehensive treatment has been proven to be the most successful method of fighting and recovering from an eating disorder.
Our specialist directory of eating disorder counselors is organized to quickly tell you:
- Name, Location & Contact Information
- Treatment Setting: Whether the therapist or counselor conducts individual, couples, family, or group therapy sessions
- Types of Patients Served: Adolescents and/or Adults, Men and/or Women
- Therapies available: The core eating disorder therapies the practitioner uses; CBT, Medical Nutrition Therapy, DBT, etc.
Eating Disorder Therapists & Specialists in NY
|Name / Info||Treatment Setting||Patient Types Served||Therapies Available|
|Fran Weiss, LCSW-R, BCD,DCSW,CGP|
121 West 82nd Street, Suite 2B
New York, NY 10024
Email: [email protected]
Website: Fran Weiss
|General Private Practice; Group and Individual Psychotherapy||Adults|
Males & Females
|Emma Demar, LMSW|
30 East 68th Street, Suite 5C
New York, NY 10065
Email: [email protected]
|Individual Private Practice, Group Therapy, Phone Counseling / Email Counseling||Adults / Children / Adolescents|
Males & Females
|CBT, DBT, Psychodynamic, Psychoanalytic, Relational and Eclectic Therapy|
Premier Eating Disorder Counselors, Psychologists, Dietitians
Fran Weiss, LCSW-R, BCD,DCSW,CGP
Associate Clinical Professor, Department of Psychiatry and Department of Environmental Medicine & Public Health at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, Senior Psychotherapy Consultant to the New York Obesity Nutrition Research Center at New York-Presbyterian Hospital in affiliation with Columbia University, College of Physicians & Surgeons and Weill Cornell Medical College in Manhattan
General Private Practice; Group and Individual Psychotherapy. Specializing in the emotional components of eating dysregulation, eating disorders, weight regulation, obesity, diabetes, and body image issues.
Emma Demar, LMSW
I work at a Private Practice, Intrinpsych Woman, located on the Upper East Side of NYC. My specialties include Eating Disorders and related mental health disorders. I provide both individual and group therapy (process group for ED’s and DBT for Bulimia and Binge Eating Disorder).
As a therapist, I start where my patient is and utilize the most applicable therapeutic modalities to help treat the individual. My style is warm, direct and reasonable. I call myself That Trendy Therapist because I identify as a modern therapist in that I am well-versed in the pressures and triggers of today’s fast-paced, demanding society.
While I am trained in many forms of traditional therapy, I realize that one size does NOT fit all and I personalize my work to fit your needs. I want to help you find ways to make your life easier and to help you become more aware of your emotions and what drives you. Let’s work together and begin your journey to a happier and healthier you! @thattrendytherapist