- Calls to this hotline are currently being directed to Within Health or Timberline Knolls
- Representatives are standing by 24/7 to help answer your questions
- All calls are confidential and HIPAA compliant
- There is no obligation or cost to call
- Eating Disorder Hope does not receive any commissions or fees dependent upon which provider you select
- Additional treatment providers are located on our directory or samhsa.gov
Midlife Eating Disorders: Your Journey to Recovery
About This Book
“Eating disorder” typically conjures images of a thin, white, upper-middle-class teenage girl. The eating disorder landscape has changed. Countless men and women in midlife and beyond also struggle with eating disorders. Some have suffered since youth; others relapsed in midlife, and still, others experience eating disorder symptoms for the first time in midlife.
Health care providers may overlook these disorders in adults or, even worse, demean them for not having outgrown these adolescent problems. Midlife Eating Disorders guides adults in understanding “Why me?” and “Why now?” It shows a connection between the rise in midlife eating disorders and certain industries that foster discontent with the natural aging process; gives readers renewed hope by explaining how to overcome symptoms and access resources and support; and helps partners and family members develop compassion for those who suffer from eating disorders; and helps health professionals appreciate the nuances associated with detecting and treating midlife eating disorders.