New York Eating Disorder Therapists, Counselors & Specialists
Eating Disorder Hope has put together a list of New York eating disorder therapists into a single directory.
Specialists who treat bulimia, anorexia, binge eating, orthorexia, or other forms of disordered eating in their practice include:
- Eating disorder therapists (also known as eating disorder counselors, or eating disorder psychologists) : Provide regular therapy sessions and may practice more specific forms of therapy such as Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT), family-based therapy, or other proven treatments for eating disorders. An eating disorder therapist may also treat co-occurring disorders in their practice.
- Registered dietitians : Create and maintain a balanced meal plan, and take part in Medical Nutrition Therapy
- Eating disorder psychiatrists : Prescribe medications and manage drug therapy
- Physicians who specialize in treating eating disorders : Oversee core medical complications that arise from eating disorders (such as heart palpitations, muscle atrophy, chronic migraines, etc.)
Men and women with eating disorders typically create a dedicated treatment team made of an eating disorder counselor, a dietitian, psychiatrist, and physician. This level of comprehensive treatment has been proven to be the most successful method of fighting and recovering from an eating disorder.
Our specialist directory of eating disorder counselors is organized to quickly tell you:
- Name, Location & Contact Information
- Treatment Setting : Whether the therapist or counselor conducts individual, couples, family, or group therapy sessions
- Types of Patients Served : Adolescents and / or Adults, Men and / or Women
- Therapies available : The core eating disorder therapies the practitioner uses; CBT, Medical Nutrition Therapy, DBT, etc.
Eating Disorder Therapists & Specialists in NY
|Name / Info||Treatment Setting||Patient Types Served||Therapies Available|
|Fran Weiss, LCSW-R, BCD,DCSW,CGP|
121 West 82nd Street
Suite 2B, New York, NY 10024
Website: Fran Weiss
|General Private Practice; Group and Individual Psychotherapy||Adults||N/S|
|Emily Rosenthal, MA, LCSW|
1841 Broadway, 4th Floor
New York, NY 10023
Website: Emily Rosenthal
|General Private Practice; Individual, Group and Couple Psychotherapy||Adolescents, Adults, Families and Couples|
Premier Eating Disorder Therapists
Fran Weiss, LCSW-R, BCD,DCSW,CGP
Faculty, Mt. Sinai School of Medicine, Sr. Psychotherapy Consultant, New York Obesity Research Center, St. Luke’s Roosevelt Hospital Center, NYC
General Private Practice; Group and Individual Psychotherapy. Specializing in the emotional components of body image, weight regulation, obesity, and bulimia.
Emily Rosenthal, MA, LCSW
I am a psychotherapist specializing in treating eating disorders, including anorexia, bulimia, binge eating/compulsive overeating and obesity, as well as co-occurring addictions, mood disorders, and physical ailments. I help clients gain insight while practicing healthier behaviors to participate in life, cope with feelings, decrease isolation, and build relationships. I treat adolescents, adults, families and couples, and help form a treatment team: psychiatrists, nutritionists and primary care doctors, and am versed in working with clients in 12 step programs. I earned a bachelor of arts in writing from Carnegie Mellon University, masters degrees in clinical psychology from Teachers College, Columbia University, and from Hunter College School of Social Work. I then completed a two year training program in the integrative treatment of eating disorders at the Center for the Study of Anorexia and Bulimia in New York City.
Last Reviewed By: Jacquelyn Ekern, MS, LPC on April 25, 2012
Page last updated: January 24, 2013
Published on EatingDisorderHope.com, Eating Disorders Resources & Treatment Information