McCallum Place Eating Disorder Center provides comprehensive, personalized care for adolescents ages 10-17 and adults age 18 and older who are struggling with anorexia, bulimia, binge-eating disorder, avoidant/restrictive food intake disorder (ARFID), other eating disorders, and certain co-occurring mental health disorders. Our services also include specialized programming for athletes age 10 and older.
We offer residential and outpatient programming at our center in St. Louis, Missouri. We also offer outpatient treatment at our center in Kansas City, Kansas. We serve patients of all genders at both locations and in all programs.
Treatment at McCallum Place is provided in a manner that reaffirms the dignity of each person while helping them learn to manage their symptoms and make the behavioral changes that will lead to improved health and successful recovery.
Adolescents, adults, and athletes who receive care at McCallum Place follow personalized treatment plans that incorporate a variety of evidence-based, research-supported therapies and services.
Following a thorough intake assessment, our team develops a customized plan for each patient. Depending on the patient’s unique needs and the level at which they are receiving care, their plan may include elements such as:
- Medical care, including nasogastric (NG) feeding tubes and support for patients who have diabetes
- Medication management services
- Individual therapy
- Multiple forms of group therapy, including process, didactic, and educational groups
- Several types of experiential therapy, including art, music, dance/movement, and yoga
- Family therapy and related family support services
- Nutrition education, meal exposure therapy, cooking classes, and supported restaurant outings
- Fitness sessions with strength and conditioning coaches
- Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT)
- Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR)
Prior to transitioning out of our care, every patient also receives a detailed discharge plan to ensure that they are connected with the professional services and community-based resources that will support their continued progress.
Multiple Levels of Care
To ensure that each adolescent, adult, or athlete receives the focused services that will best prepare them to achieve improved health, McCallum Place offers treatment at multiple levels of care.
Depending on a patient’s age and needs, they may participate in treatment at one or more of the following levels:
- Residential: At the residential level, patients benefit from round-the-clock care, supervision, and medical monitoring. This may be the ideal level for patients who are beginning the refeeding process or have been engaging in dangerous behaviors that may otherwise warrant hospitalization. Adolescents who receive care at the residential level also benefit from daily educational support.
- Partial hospitalization program (PHP): Our PHP features full days of treatment without a residential component. Our traditional PHP includes six hours of daily treatment, but we also offer a 10-hour option. Both programs provide care seven days per week.
- Intensive outpatient program (IOP): Treatment at the IOP level includes fewer hours than PHP, and sessions are held five days per week. Our IOP may be the optimal environment for patients who can benefit from step-down transitional support after completing treatment at the residential or PHP level.
- Transitional living: Adults who receive care at the PHP or IOP level at our St. Louis, Missouri, center may stay in one of our transitional living residences while they are in treatment. Our transitional living option provides a supportive environment where patients can practice healthy independent living skills during nontreatment hours.
Victory Program for Athletes
The Victory Program provides specialized services for athletes age 10 and older of all genders who have a primary diagnosis of an eating disorder. This innovative program incorporates patients’ athletic performance goals into their treatment and recovery plans, with the goal of empowering them to achieve improved health and make a successful return to competition.
Elements of care in the Victory Program include sports nutrition and sports psychology groups, sessions that focus on body image for athletes, individual and group fitness sessions directed by experienced strength and conditioning coaches, family-based therapy and support, and communication with coaches or other team personnel as appropriate.
Athletes who receive care for eating disorders and certain co-occurring mental health disorders through the Victory Program may take part in treatment at the residential, partial hospitalization, and intensive outpatient levels.
Multidisciplinary Treatment Teams
Treatment at McCallum Place is provided by multidisciplinary teams of experienced professionals. Depending on the elements of each patient’s personalized treatment plan and the program in or level at which they are receiving care, they may work in close collaboration with experts such as:
- Family medicine physician
- Board-certified psychiatrists
- Sport psychologists
- Clinical nurse specialist
- Registered nurses (RNs)
- Licensed clinical social workers (LCSWs)
- Licensed professional counselors (LPCs)
- Registered dietitians (RDs)
- Music therapist
- Dance/movement therapist
- Certified specialist in sports dietetics (CSSD)
- Strength and conditioning coaches
Each member of our staff shares an unwavering commitment to providing superior, patient-focused services within a safe and supportive environment.
Our treatment professionals understand that many adolescents, adults, and athletes who develop eating disorders also struggle with shame, guilt, isolation, and diminished self-esteem. When a patient enters treatment at McCallum Place, they are celebrated for their strengths, reconnected with their innate talents and abilities, and treated with the utmost dignity and respect.
McCallum Place St. Louis
231 W. Lockwood Ave, Suite 202
St. Louis, MO 63119
McCallum Place Kansas City
12140 Nall Ave, Ste 315
Overland Park, KS 66209
Residential, PHP, IOP
Patient Types Served:
Adults / Adolescents (10+)
CBT, DBT, EMDR, somatic experiencing, motivational interviewing, prolonged exposure therapy (PET), emotion-focused therapy (EFT), psychodynamic therapy, trauma-informed crisis intervention, and more
Aetna, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Cigna, Humana, United Behavioral Health, and more